Friday, June 11, 2010

what inspires you?

Gina (from Dreamland) is having a multi-week long discussion on her blog on creativity and invited me to guest post there on Monday. Here’s the prequel (you know, like star wars had a prequel?) to that post. Like many of you, I am driven to create things. I am happiest when I’m busy making something. It’s my fatal flaw.

I create mainly for 2 reasons. First, I have a brain that often spins out of control and leaves me behind. By doing something with my hands I can trick it into slowing down, then I catch it and get it to do what I want. I didn’t always know this trick so I try to tell others often.

I also create because it makes me feel whole. It makes me feel like I fulfilled some higher purpose beyond the necessary getting things done that takes up so much of our energy and time. I believe there ought to be more to life than just getting through it, and being creative fulfils that need in me. I feel whole again.

So, you see, this drive to create goes way beyond simply making something pretty or useful. Lots of people don't get that. They think we're just playing around. Which we are, what's so wrong with that?

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Sorry i don't blog every day, I can't sew quick enough!!:) :) I am happy to know you are there but I still don't like google reader!! have a lovely weekend, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, lots of people don't get it, which is why I'm so happy to have become a part of this wonderful online, creative community. I feel much more sane now.

    ReplyDelete