Wednesday, July 27, 2011

This post is not about Chocolate

This photo is not about chocolate, it is about light.  And shadow.  Composition.  Contrast.

There are so many ways to learn things, so many different paths to knowing.
I am thinking about my own path, where I am in my own learning, and taking strange shots like this one just for fun.
 
I've seen so many debates lately about the difference between professional photographers and amateurs who think they are professionals.  And I wonder how it is that anyone can expect to cross from amateur to professional in this kind of hostile climate.  I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really much matter.  Just keep shooting the work that you are drawn to and don't worry about what other people think. 
 
Usually in these rants the photographers are quite concerned that "photography is dead" and "no one appreciates a good photograph anymore" which I believe couldn't be farther from the truth.  So many people taking photographs means so many more people appreciating photographs, and looking critically at them.  This can only be good for the industry.  I see a renaissance in people who are genuinely excited about great photography.  How is this a bad thing?
 

3 comments:

  1. I like your pictuere, because your use of the light and the shadows, and for me, its al about the fun to shoot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love macro photography for the simple fact that it's like a teeny tiny treasure hunt, finding insects and gorgeous hues through my lens. It's all in the discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! My take on the debate is this: no labels. Amateur, professional.. just pick up that camera - keep shooting - and keep learning!

    ReplyDelete