Monday, September 21, 2009

slump. i guess it's official.

Well, it’s been a long time since I wrote here. That usually means that I’m either thinking about something too big to be contained in a single blog post (turns out I'm not the only blogger this happens to) or that I’m overwhelmed again. Well, it’s the latter this time. I’m really wondering about the wisdom of setting up an etsy shop when I did. I had hoped that I would have help with uploading photos and setting it all up, which I did but there is a whole lot else to do and I just don’t have a lot of time to devote to the store. I’ve got two small kids and a full-time job after all and I’ve never been really good at the whole balance thing. I keep telling myself to be patient and be happy with “slowrolling” the store a bit but, truthfully, I wonder if this is where I should be putting my energy right now.

When I started I kept saying I was feeling compelled to do it, and I still am, but I’m starting to wonder where that is coming from. I recently looked at some eye-opening stats (I wish I knew where to find them cause I’m paraphrasing badly now.). It showed a huge surge in traffic to etsy this summer. But I know from the forums that sales have been down. Also, the vast majority of the people who open stores there are middle aged white women. Um… me. And then the thing that really opened my eyes – a list of other websites that are popular for people who visit etsy. They were all craft supply sites, or etsy sites for sellers. And it hit me like a brick – most of the traffic on etsy are sellers. Not buyers. So, all the middle aged white women are flocking to etsy to sell stuff. And that’s just what I did, too. I don’t know why, but maybe me being “compelled” to do this is just following my demographics. Sad isn’t it?

So, what’s a girl to do? I’ve got stubborn genes, so my first reaction is to outlast the trend and make something of it.

I’ve really enjoyed the focus on creating having the shop has given me. I love making things, and am glad to be putting that as a priority, but I can’t help but wonder if my energy wouldn’t be better used making things for my family rather than engaging in the economy.

I guess I’m in a little slump, as some might call it, or a moment to pause and reconsider my direction as I like to think of it. I believe things happen for a reason so now I put the question out to the universe, and we’ll see what answer comes back.

2 comments:

  1. good luck looking for your answers. I definitely think having two small children and a full time job is work enough for any woman and thanks so much for the comment, I LOVE your idea of rolling the work on tubes, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. I always appreciate you coming over here for a read.
    gisele

    ReplyDelete