Saturday, March 6, 2010

Diamond Stitch - Take a Stitch Tuesday

Here are the samples I worked up for the very first TAST - Take A Stitch Tuesday. A new stitch is posted every Tuesday and then you spend some time playing with it and post your results. I will try to get photos on Saturdays and post them as soon as I can. That's the hardest part for me, so wish me luck!

All right, diamond stitch. I started working a 4 inch square sampler on felted wool.


I was delighted with the star - I've been looking for a way to stitch a 9 pointed star (a Baha'i symbol) for a while now and I think I've found a good stitch for it.

I really liked the argyle look of diamond stitch on top of itself (right), and couching with it (left) has potential.


Next I got this silly little idea of stitching green thumbs on some garden gloves! I like the look of it but I think I will choose a stitch that is more attached to the fabric (if you know what I mean) for this for durability. I liked the idea of this stitch because it is stretchy and I can see lots off applications for it in garment making where stretchy stitches are needed.


And then I got this idea to stitch on my apron. Aprons and embroidery are both symbols of domesticity so this is a comment on that. I think I will do a lot of sampling on this apron and see where the project takes me. The first sample here is whipped diamond stitch and the second is playing with the size of the elements. I really love the look of alternating small and large sections.


And then a band on the top of the apron.
My thinking is to add to this band with other stitches as time goes on.


I'm already beginning to regret using such bright colors, but I'm sure I'll be bale to tone them down with the next row of stitches.


And finally, I couldn't resist a small patch of french knots. I saw this on a blog somewhere for using up the last bits of leftover thread and I think it's kind of pretty. I'm adding to it already.

I can't wait to see what other people have done with this versatile stitch.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Very good trials.. ilike the way u ahve done on ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ideas. I like your stars and your use of the stitch for couching down a ribbon. Great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete