Friday, February 4, 2011

Triumphant Muffins!

The other day I stepped out of the shower and realized I had forgotten to wash my hair! 
I was daydreaming about muffins.  Perfectly domed, moist and delicious gluten-free multigrain muffins.  Oh my, they sent my heart a pitter patter.  Just look at these:



Hard to resist, I know.  OK, so maybe this isn't so exciting to all of you so let me explain.  I'm not good at following recipes.  Or patterns, or directions of any kind really.  I get lost in my own town.  really.  It's a small town and I've lived there since the 7th grade. I've made so many bad muffins; flat, hard, soggy, bland, fallen muffins.  And now that I'm wheat-free (and now mostly gluten-free) I'd completely given up on ever making my own muffins again.  I can be good at other things, I told myself.

Enter these babies. 
Shauna of Glutenfreegirl fame has figured out multigrain gluten free flour.  Take a look at her post here.  It's all about getting the right proportions of flours to get that perfect muffin texture (gluten free baking is all about getting the texture right).  And she lists them all (in categories. it's not complicated, I promise) so you have so much freedom to choose.  Now, I didn't actually use her muffin recipe as she cooks by weight and I refuse to convert.  What I did was take the proportions in her flour mix, made my own flour mix and used my own recipe.  The muffins in the picture are Sunny Cranberry Multigrain Muffins.  But they're long gone now.  And there's a smile on my face.

(I'm still tweaking the recipe otherwise I'd post it.  Just one more batch ; ) It's for research.)
(even the hubby went back for seconds and he doesn't normally like cranberries.  or nuts.  or multigrain.)

1 comment:

  1. they do look delicious. I'm so glad you found something that works. sacrificing all baking for gluten is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete